A true work of art
With a rustic appearance in harmony with the surrounding farms, the Chapel of Saint-Vigor-de-Mieux already existed at the end of the 13th century. Revamped in the 15th century by Guillaume de Vanembras, it underwent modifications and additions over the centuries.
Members of the Vanembras family were buried in the nave until 1737; some plaques are still visible. The chapel, which was falling into ruins, was closed to the public in 1983. during a first visit in 1987, the Japanese artist Kyoji Takubo was seduced by the site and decided to turn it into a work of art . Work began in 1992, with the help of numerous French and Japanese sponsors.
The frame was first restored, then the cover, then came the creation of the roof; to the old tiles were added glass tiles in the colors of the rainbow. The floor was made of "corten" steel, the walls were covered with sheets of lead on which the artist applied many layers of paint of different colors, finally, he drew on the last layer (white) branches of apple trees and he engraved with a tool of his own design to bring out the colors of the Norman apple trees through the layers of paint.
The chapel is open on request all year round for groups and individuals.
Open in summer from July 1 to Heritage Days: Tuesday to Sunday, 14 p.m. to 18 p.m.
All opening periods have passed. Please contact the owner directly for more information.
- French bank and postal checks