Many architectural treasures still testify to the status of ducal residence of the medieval town of Falaise. In a register other than military constructions, churches de Falaise are a striking example of the will of the lords to publicly demonstrate their power and their devotion. Rivaling by their design and the richness of their decorations, the edreligious buildings de Falaise are the almost intact witnesses of this splendor and of a typically Norman know-how.
The churches in the heart of the medieval town of Falaise
Holy Trinity Church
Located on Place Guillaume-le-Conquérant near the castle, Holy Trinity is undoubtedly the best known of the churches in Falaise. In 1206, the siege of Philippe Auguste severely damaged it. Most of its reconstruction dates from the XNUMXth century. If the original Romanesque building is still visible through some vestiges of the transept, the church is distinguished by its very pronounced Gothic character which results in a very rich decoration and an impressive clarity.
Church of Saint-Gervais Saint-Protais
Located in downtown Falaise, the construction of Saint-Gervais Saint-Protais probably began shortly after the conquest of England in 1066, under the leadership of William the Conqueror. It ended under the reign of Henry I Beauclerc (1100-1135). The Trinity Church of the Abbaye-aux-Dames in Caen inspired the initial Romanesque building. Only very few elements remain of it.
The rest of the building dates from the XNUMXth, XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries with alterations in the XNUMXth century.
The suburbs of Falaise
Outside the Medieval city, at the foot of the powerful fortifications, the Faubourg Saint-Laurent has retained its old charm and is almost like a country village. The neighborhood takes its name from the small Saint Laurent church, perched on its rocky promontory and founded by William the Conqueror in the XNUMXth century. From this period, the building has retained its typically Romanesque portal. As well as an external device called "fish bones", characteristic of the construction methods of the year one thousand.
Church of Our Lady of Guibray
This imposing church occupies the site of a pagan sanctuary, replaced by a chapel in the XNUMXth century. Revamped in the XNUMXth century, Our Lady of Guibray has retained its XNUMXth century Romanesque character. It once dominated the district and the Fair of Guibray. Created by William the Conqueror, this fair was renowned until the XNUMXth century as one of the largest in Europe.
Organ of Guibray
The Church of Notre-Dame-de-Guibray has one of the finest organs in our region, built in the XNUMXth century by Claude Parisot.
Every year during the summer, the Association of Friends of the Organ of Notre-Dame de Guibray brings this superb instrument back to life by organizing a music festival.